Friday, February 8, 2013

A nausa free round of chemo but not without some dramas

Continuing on from my last blog, I decided to continue treatment. Dr K reduced my chemo to 75% of the original dose to see if this would help the side effects. I had chemo treatment a couple of days after my last blog and everything went very well and was able to have a normal week after the treatment which was so good after what I went through on the previous round. So nine days after the chemo which was a Friday I got up and started getting ready for work when I was overcome with dizziness and hot flushes to the point I had to go back to bed. Luckily I had an appointment with Dr K. already organized for this day. So I stayed at home until it was time to go to the appointment. I was feeling a bit better before I went but went downhill once I got to the doctors clinic. We discussed my latest results which have seen an increase in my cancer cell counts, which I thought this would be the case as I had a extra two week break when this blood test was done. From here on I think Meghan and I have come to the realization my life expectancy may be not as long as we had hoped. Don't get me wrong I have been very lucky to make it this far. I look back at when I was first diagnosed and disbelief I would die from this and thought from day one I would beat it. As time has gone on and researched no end I have to come to the conclusion this terrible disease will take my life. If I just put my head in the sand and not prepare for it when the time comes I would be so disappointed in myself. So reality has kicked in and Meghan and I have done everything we can to ensure both her and Sam will be looked after as best we can. This makes me feel so much more comfortable and now we can concentrate on just spending quality time together. I am actually writing this from Hospital due to a strange dizzy spell on Friday, yesterday. They have done all the tests and cannot really find out what caused it but am feeling much better today so I think they will let me out today. I have another round of Chemo next Tuesday so hopefully my blood test taken on Monday will be OK and I am able to have the treatment. It seems now with the amount of chemo I have had over the past 28 months it is starting to affect my body and little episodes like this will become more frequent, so really need to start to take it easy and look after my health to ensure I can continue with regular treatment which in turn help keep my cancer cell counts down. So life goes on and I just need to manage as best i can and not let it affect my positive attitude. Who knows I could be still writing these blogs in another 28 months. Cross your fingers!!!!


  1. This week I had to attend the funeral of a friend who committed suicide. He was 28 years old and left behind 4 kids, ages 6 months to 9 years, and a 24 year old wife. Whatever happens think about the fact that Megan and Sam will never have to even question if you wanted to be here with them, if you didn't fight to stick around one more day. That knowledge is a tremendous gift. We are here for you if there is anything we can do. If there isn't please remember we are thinking of you all.


  2. ~Hi David! I'm Dear Alicia's brother - in law - Claudia's ex spouse & Sabrina's Dada.
    Thank You for sharing your Journey! I would like to share with You from a compassionate and loving place and whatever You read here it's only from a personal point of view. We cannot and must not compare our circumstance with any One else as each One of us's journey is individual and dictated by our fate/destiny which we are completely unaware of. I supported my first wife through her ovarian cancer experience in Venezuela. She asked for my suggestion on how to deal with it and I shared that if it was me going through the dis-ease, I would fly out to the US and meet with Miso Kushi and adopt a Micro-Biotic Diet. The other side of the family opined that she should go through chemo and that's the way she went. Her dis-ease accelerated from the first round of chemo and three months later she passed. It was an enriching and beauty full journey for both.
    Back in March of last year I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma and as an example of how things "pan out" and how, being at different stages of our lives, we make the decision we have to make, according to our unknowing fate/destiny, I decided to go through surgery while at the same time extra fine-tuning my nutrition. I have been a vegetarian for the past 35 years and completely Vegan for the past two. I have undergone three major surgeries and three mini ones and although still " Stage 3" according to the Oncologist, and by The Supreme's Grace, I'm doing well so far. It's interesting for me to see that, instead of deciding, at first, to adopt a much stricter diet and forgo the surgeries, I decided to walk via the allopathic road. Now that I'm in physiotherapy and acupuncture to treat my frozen shoulder and scar tissue -an intense after effect of the surgeries to my right underarm and shoulder, I ponder what I would decide if the dis-ease returns? I do not know for sure and what I do know is that that my decision to make my food my medicine and my medicine my food is fundamental. Nutrition is of Primal Importance. Each organ, constantly develops new cells from the food we eat so literally WE ARE WHAT WE EAT.
    I do not know whether You've heard of the Gerson Therapy or any other natural and holistic alternative therapy. There are many out there and The Gerson is by far the One I believe in. But that's just me. In case You haven't done so and You wish to, the link is:
    David, Kudos, Kudos to You for ALL you're doing and putting uP with to preserve the Greatest Gift Of ALL- Your Precious Human Life.
    Sending Loving, Healing Vibes Your Way!

  3. Fingers crossed for you Chook x
    Vicki Quinn